Mini Pub Quiz(May 14, 2006)
Your Weekly Free Mini Pub Quiz
The Know-it-All: One Man's Humble Quest to Become the Smartest Person in the World - On leaving school or university, you feel pretty pleased with yourself. You've learnt a lot, you're well-read, and you know a whole bunch of obscure facts guaranteed at some point to appear in the questions on Mastermind or University Challenge. Then you get a job, and ten years later, you're more eloquent and eager to argue about Britney and Big Brother than Beckett and the Brontes. Sound familiar? Well, it happened to AJ Jacobs too, as he tells his story of his bizarre, hilarious and seemingly impossible quest to read the Encyclopaedia Britannica from A to Z.
Click here to read more about this book
The Questions1. In which decade was Daley Thompson born?
2. Which band released their debut album ‘Waterloo to Anywhere’ this month?
3. What do the initials of the motoring organisation RAC stand for?
4. In US schooling, if the ninth grade is known as the freshman year then how is the tenth grade known?
5. In which Australian state were miners recently trapped in the Beaconsfield gold mine following a recent earthquake?
6. How many years old are the horses that compete in the Epsom Derby?
7. The MMR vaccine provides immunisation against which three diseases?
8. The Oscar class submarine K-141 Kursk of the Russian Navy exploded and sank in which sea during a military exercise in 2000?
9. Who wrote the poem ‘Kubla Khan’?
10. What is the capital city of Venezuela?
11. Who is the all-time most capped player of the Germany national football team?
12. What was Margaret Thatcher’s maiden name?
13. In which year did the tragic Tiananmen Square protests take place in China?
14. In which county was the television programme ‘Birds of a Feather’ set?
15. Who was the first US president to resign whilst in office?
16. Which group had a 1981 Top Ten hit with ‘Slow Hand’?
17. Who wrote the historical novel ‘Barnaby Rudge’?
18. Which country has the bigger population – Israel or New Zealand?
19. Which British actor is playing The Juggernaut in the forthcoming ‘X-Men 3’ movie?
20. Which bird features on the national coat-of-arms of Mauritius?
Tiebreak - What is the population of Mauritius?
Please consider viewing the services of this week's advertising partner by clicking on the above banner, as these advertisements and donations keep this quiz free. The Answers
Please consider viewing the services of this week's advertising partner by clicking on the above banner, as these advertisements and donations keep this quiz free.
The Answers1. 1950’s 2. Dirty Pretty Things 3. Royal Automobile Club 4. Sophomore year 5. Tasmania 6. Three 7. Measles, mumps, rubella 8. Barents Sea 9. Samuel Taylor Coleridge 10. Caracas 11. Lothar Matthäus 12. Roberts 13. 1989 14. Essex 15. Richard Nixon 16. The Pointer Sisters 17. Charles Dickens 18. Israel 19. Vinnie Jones 20. Dodo
You can download a free formatted answer sheet for this quiz here
This quiz is free but if you like what you've seen then please consider a small donation by clicking the button below, we also donate half of all monies received to Cancer Research UK