Mini Pub Quiz(October 15, 2006)
Your Free Mini Pub Quiz
Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?: And 114 Other Questions - "Why Don't Penguins' Feet Freeze?" is the latest compilation of readers' answers to the questions in the 'Last Word' column of "New Scientist", the world's best-selling science weekly. Following the phenomenal success of "Does Anything eat Wasps?" - the Christmas 2005 surprise bestseller - this new collection includes recent answers never before published in book form, and also old favourites from the column's early days. Yet again, many seemingly simple questions turn out to have complex answers. And some that seem difficult have a very simple explanation.
Click here to read more about this book
The Questions1. What did the D of Franklin D. Roosevelt stand for?
2. Which country won Gold in the men’s field hockey event at the 2004 Summer Olympics?
3. On tins of which food product would you find the Biblical quote "out of the strong came forth sweetness"?
4. Who had a 2004 Top Twenty hit with ‘Afrodisiac’?
5. What is the capital city of Albania?
6. Who directed the 1935 movie ‘The 39 Steps’?
7. Who plays Peter Pascoe in the BBC crime drama ‘Dalziel and Pascoe’?
8. In which city was the balti style of cooking invented?
9. In which decade was John Hurt born?
10. Which monarch succeeded George IV in 1830?
11. What is the name of the Russian player who has recently become the first undisputed world chess champion in 13 years?
12. The Rio Grande river rises in the mountains of which US State?
13. Charles Darnay is a fictional character in which Charles Dickens novel?
14. Which of the Royal Navy’s vessels is affectionately known as 'Lusty' to her crew?
15. Minnie Schönberg was the mother of which sibling comedians?
16. In the USA what is a smokestack?
17. What do the opposite sides of a die always add up to?
18. What type of weather condition is named after the patron saint of sailors?
19. What nationality is the current holder of the world record for the most tries scored in rugby union test matches?
20. In which city would you find the Scottish Exhibition and Conference Centre?
Tiebreak - In which year did Zeppo Marx die?
Please consider viewing the services of this week's advertising partner by clicking on the above banner, as these advertisements and donations keep this quiz free. The Answers
Please consider viewing the services of this week's advertising partner by clicking on the above banner, as these advertisements and donations keep this quiz free.
The Answers1. Delano 2. Australia 3. Lyle’s Golden Syrup 4. Brandy 5. Tirana 6. Alfred Hitchcock 7. Colin Buchanan 8. Birmingham 9. 1940’s 10. William IV 11. Vladimir Kramnik 12. Colorado 13. A Tale of Two Cities 14. HMS Illustrious 15. The Marx Brothers 16. Chimney 17. 7 18. St. Elmo's fire 19. Japanese 20. Glasgow
Please feel free to forward on this Mini Pub Quiz to anyone else you think may enjoy it. Also why not sign our guestbook
You can download a free formatted answer sheet for this quiz here